Monday, January 30, 2012

Orange Smoothie...

aka My taste buds love me! I found this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago. Let me tell ya, it was so yummy. In the original post over at Love Veggies and Yoga she called it an Orange Push Up Smoothie. In my opinion, it kind of taste like an Orange Push Up. It has a hint of a Push Up Popsicle but really it has a flavor all it's own. I tried this on a Sunday night, when my two little ones where zonked out from a day of full exhaustion. I mean, they were tired! One was asleep at 6:05pm and the other asleep at 6:20pm. They never go to sleep until at least 8:00. Anyway, I was a little bored, since 2/5 of the family was asleep. My Sweet Pea was willing to try it because I called it an Orange Smoothie thing. She loves oranges and loves smoothies. She was in and of course my partner in cooking was up for anything sweet(aka..my hubby!). Here is the recipe:


Orange Push-Up Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten Free)
1 can orange juice concentrate, slightly thawed
1 cup milk (half and half, cream, nut milk, soy milk)
1/2 cup sugar, or to taste (you can reduce the sugar or use an alternate sugar substitute such as stevia but it won’t taste as close to classic Orange Push-Ups)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups ice, or to taste
Combine all ingredients, except ice, in a large blender or Vita-Mix and blend until smooth and creamy, taking care the sugar has dissolved and is well incorporated.  If desired, add a splash more water or more milk.  Add the ice and blend until smooth.
(I apparently didn't follow the recipe exactly because the sugar was very grainy. I was thinking next time, I will just cook the sugar and orange juice concentrate on low heat until the sugar is incorporated and allow it to chill back down in the fridge. I'm not sure how it will turn out when I do it this way, but that's the fun part...experimenting! Right? Right!)
5 easy ingredients! Easy peasy  lemon orange squeezy 
The finished product! It made exactly 4 8oz Mason Jars full!



 So the end result: It was a success! It's a very nice dessert to have every once in a while. My Sweet Pea, loved it! She woke up the next day asking me to make her another one. Like I said, very unique, something I wouldn't mind making again in the future. You should try it! Let me know if you do or if you have any suggestions about the recipe. I'd love to hear them!

Until next time,
May you have full hearts and full bellies!
Jessica




This recipe is not my own. I just found it on the awesome website Pinterest. I just borrowed the recipe from Love Veggies and Yoga. Because lets face it: I only love some veggies and I laugh at yoga, because I can't stop falling over and laughing about it! :) The pictures however, are my own, taken by the not so professional but I love it anyway, me! Have a nice day! 

No comments: